How it works
Zapier is a useful tool that connects apps to work together. You can use a Formli event (like a Formli completion or processed payment) to "trigger" a Zap that completes an action in a third party-app.
You can use Zapier and the "New Payments" Zap to receive email receipts when a payment occurs in Formli. Every time a payment is made, a Zap will trigger.
⚠️ In April 2021 we updated from Version 1.4 to 1.5. The current version is Version 1.5.0. While 1.4 still works, if you want to use custom data fields, you must use version 1.5.
For recurring payments: "New Payment" Zaps will trigger for all payments. You can also set a filter on your Zap so it only triggers for specific payments (either "only first" or "only subsequent").
👉🏽 For a walkthrough on Monthly Receipts, see here
This guide assumes that you already have a Formli with a Payments or Donation Block and have connected Stripe to your Formli account.
👉🏽 For a walkthrough on creating your first Payment Block, see here.For a walkthrough on connecting Stripe, see here.
Step 1 - Get access to Zapier
Email email@example.com to request Zapier integration access.
Step 2 - Create a Zap to trigger for new payments on your Formli
1. Create a new Zap on Zapier
2. Choose Formli (1.5.0)
3. For the trigger event, select New Payment
4. Click Continue
5. Choose the Formli account you’d like to connect
6. After your selection, click Continue
7. Select the payment Formli that you want to trigger notifications
8. Click Continue
9. Click Test trigger and Zapier will use a payment to show that it is connected correctly
10. Then click Continue to finish the trigger and move onto the action portion of the Zap
Step 3 - Make email action and include relevant information
1. Select your desired email app
For this example, we’re using Gmail. Here are other email services you can use:
2. For "action event" select send email from the dropdown menu
3. Click Continue
4. Select or add your desired email address
5. Click Continue
6. Fill in the email information. The To and Subject boxes are required, but you can also use any other fields that may be useful.
7. For the email body, you will likely want to include some relevant fields from your Formli. Consider including things like Formli name, payer name and email, payment type, amount paid, total amount paid, recurrence number, and the Stripe charge ID
☝🏽 be aware of "Full Name" vs "First Name" and "Last Name". They are different fields, so be sure to check which is selected in your Payment Block ("Full name" is default)
8. Click Continue
9. Click Test & Continue. You should receive a test email at your specified address.
10. Click Publish Zap
11. Click Publish & Turn On
Congrats! Your Zap is now on and you can start receiving payment receipts with Zapier.
Setting Up Receipts for Recurring Payments
Create your first Payment Block